Saturday 11 October 2008

My Brother : Tech Support



Me and my brother's favourite game is Lego Star Wars (as I'm sure everyone who knows me is fully aware of!). However before I went back to uni I discovered it was broken. This was a disaster of GIGANTIC proportions. I was devastated. I did everything I could. Nothing worked. I was heartbroken.

It would appear that no-one told my brother of this tragedy, and he hadn't tried to play it in the weeks that I've been gone. Now that I'm back then the obvious thing for us to do was to play it. Me simply telling him "It's broken" had no effect. He had to try it out for himself.

He was very excited when the Wii turned on...and the picture for the game appeared...he didn't understand that I also had got this far!

He tried to put the game on...and as I had told him...it didn't work!

"Oh. Have you tried cleaning it on your t-shirt?"
"Yes."
"Have you tried phoof-ing it?" (blowing on it)
"Yes."
"Have you tried checking it for scratches?"
"Yes."
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
"Yes."
"Oh."

He then proceeded to try all of these things for himself, but then was finally forced to conclude that it was, in fact, broken. Just like I'd tried to tell him 15 minutes earlier!


However, it was absolutely adorable that he's picked up all these ways to fix things, that's exactly the way I approached the problem...and I'm a LOT older than he is! He's very definitely a child of the 21st century!

If he's tired...he's run out of batteries.
If he's forgotten something...his memory card's broken.
If he wants to go to the toilet...we have to "pause" the game.

He by the age of 4 was able to turn on the complicated huge tv, the surround sound and choose what he wanted to watch on Sky. By the age of 5 he was able to set up the Wii and the DVD player, including finding the right channel, he can also set up his computer and games. (Ok, he couldn't plug any of them in etc, but he could use them without help). He totally understands things like blogging, texting and emailing! As well as this he also has an impressive understanding of how things work like cars (and by impressive I mean that his knowledge is about equal to mine, since I'm the poor soul coerced into explaining them!)



UPDATE : I am also being told off for turning him into a geek, as he was VERY excited when we found all of my old Star Wars books, some of which had pictures in. Much to mum's disgust he was able to identify almost every vehicle and scene in the pictures, which GREAT enthusiasm!
"Look at the Time Fighter!!" (TIE fighter)
"Charli, it's a LANDSPEEDER!"
"OOOOH, the mellian VOLCAN" (Millenium Falcon)
"AT-AT!" (followed by gun noises to demonstrate it's use!)

He's pouring over a book about how all the stuff is made and he finds it hilarious.
"Charli, he's a DUMMY! How can a dummy drive a ship?! Only people can do that!"

I'm very proud of my little Star Wars geek, even if he's yet to watch a single one of the films all the way through!! :P

1 comment:

Janet said...

OMG LMS you've turned my sweet little boy into a Star Wars GEEK!!!
How could you?!?!
Lots of love
Mummy
xxxx